When Kerri Summers’ 13 month old son Luke choked on a grape, the actions of his quick-thinking nanny were credited with saving his life.
Even with the nanny’s speedy intervention, Luke’s lungs collapsed and he was on life support in hospital for five days.
After his (full) recovery, doctors told Mrs Summers about the ‘chain of survival’, which is made up of all of the people involved in helping an accident victim.
The chain is only as strong as its weakest link, they said, and too often there is no-one around with adequate first aid training.
Luke was lucky, his ‘first link’ in the chain was strong.